Senior dog life
I think my evening walks with Lucky are coming to an end. He just can't go very far anymore. Makes me very sad. But, I am facing it as the reality. Each time we go, the walks get shorter and shorter. He is on the heaviest dose of Metacam he has been on in the past year. Usually, I was able to taper him off of it once he got better. I would up the dose when I knew he was going to have a lot of extra activity, and then in a few days he was back to normal.
But now, normal IS limping ALL THE TIME. I just don't want to accept it. I don't want my dog to be in pain. But...I guess he has to be.
I bought him these stairs a few months back once he kept continuously limping. It took him a while to finally get used to always using them, and I am so glad he is, because it relieves the pressure on that bad leg. WISHFUL THINKING made me believe that since he wouldn't be jumping up and down from the bed, the limping might stop...
I have taken him to the vet countless times. I give him all the fish oil, the glucosamine, MSM, and he's on senior dog food which contains more of that same stuff. Yet nothing seems to make him do better. He only gets worse. The vet just tells me the same story "It's his arthritis."
Since the last few times I have tried to take him on a normal distance walk have ended in me carrying him, I thought I should look into getting a harness. I don't know if it will be much help, but I am keeping my fingers crossed. At least I can help lift up some of his weight when he is having too much trouble to walk. possibly.
But now, normal IS limping ALL THE TIME. I just don't want to accept it. I don't want my dog to be in pain. But...I guess he has to be.
I bought him these stairs a few months back once he kept continuously limping. It took him a while to finally get used to always using them, and I am so glad he is, because it relieves the pressure on that bad leg. WISHFUL THINKING made me believe that since he wouldn't be jumping up and down from the bed, the limping might stop...
I have taken him to the vet countless times. I give him all the fish oil, the glucosamine, MSM, and he's on senior dog food which contains more of that same stuff. Yet nothing seems to make him do better. He only gets worse. The vet just tells me the same story "It's his arthritis."
Since the last few times I have tried to take him on a normal distance walk have ended in me carrying him, I thought I should look into getting a harness. I don't know if it will be much help, but I am keeping my fingers crossed. At least I can help lift up some of his weight when he is having too much trouble to walk. possibly.
Anyways, I will let you know how it works out for him.
Anytime I meet people who want to talk about Lucky, they are always shocked when I tell them his age. Most of these folks have had labs who have gone to doggy heaven. And they are between the ages of 8-10. Lucky's age 11.5.
Every morning, I am so thankful he is still with me. And I can't wait to get home to make sure he is still there to greet me. I dread the thought of when he is no longer with us. I don't like to think about it, but I know the end is in sight. His old body is set to be here for only a certain amount of time. But I am doing my best to make sure he is comfortable while he is still here. It's the least I can do.
![]() |
| September 2006 |



oh, amy. hug and kiss that pup for me. <3
ReplyDeletelove LD & his big ears
ReplyDelete