The Love of Gardening
My love for gardening never really got to as you would say "blossom" until I had my own home. When we moved to New Hampshire in 2006, I finally had a yard to call my own.
It was neat. And the even cooler part was discovering what would come up in the yard. I had no idea what was under the dirt in any section of it.
Luckily we moved here at the end of May, so everything was started to come up. I was thrilled to see we had one white azalea, something I thought I would never have in my own yard. It was beautiful, and really close to the front window of the house.
Some things I wasn't even sure for a long time if they were actually a weed or something that would be a beautiful bedding plant. And since I am not from the area, I had NO IDEA how to identify what was a weed and what wasn't-since I didn't even know what kind of weeds were around here. Since we were in a totally different zone too, I had never seen these weeds before in my lifetime!Talk about frustrating! And even things that I thought weren't weeds, that had gorgeous blooms, were in fact an invasive weed.
Anyways, the reason for my blog was to talk about my books. My aunt Peggy has given me gardening books throughout the years, and I was never able to use them until we moved here. Now, they are my go-tos whenever I am trying to identify what I do have and plants that I would like to have in the future.
I have to refer to them a lot, which makes it quite lovely to own.
The Gardening Journal was given to me after we moved here, and it has been great to use for reference each year.
I try to write down everything I do, from fertilizing, to transplanting, to mulching, etc... It's interesting to go back and see what bloomed when and for how long.
Today, I decided it would be cool to actually do some diagrams of the yard. However, I should've made them much larger. I didn't even have room to write everything down that I have out there!
But it was fun to draw this up. I have been meaning to do it for about a year now. It will change every year, since I am constantly transplanting things to see if they will do better in a different area of the gardens.
It was neat. And the even cooler part was discovering what would come up in the yard. I had no idea what was under the dirt in any section of it.
Luckily we moved here at the end of May, so everything was started to come up. I was thrilled to see we had one white azalea, something I thought I would never have in my own yard. It was beautiful, and really close to the front window of the house.
Some things I wasn't even sure for a long time if they were actually a weed or something that would be a beautiful bedding plant. And since I am not from the area, I had NO IDEA how to identify what was a weed and what wasn't-since I didn't even know what kind of weeds were around here. Since we were in a totally different zone too, I had never seen these weeds before in my lifetime!Talk about frustrating! And even things that I thought weren't weeds, that had gorgeous blooms, were in fact an invasive weed.
Anyways, the reason for my blog was to talk about my books. My aunt Peggy has given me gardening books throughout the years, and I was never able to use them until we moved here. Now, they are my go-tos whenever I am trying to identify what I do have and plants that I would like to have in the future.
The Gardening Journal was given to me after we moved here, and it has been great to use for reference each year.
I try to write down everything I do, from fertilizing, to transplanting, to mulching, etc... It's interesting to go back and see what bloomed when and for how long.




Comments
Post a Comment