Jehovah's Witnesses

Interesting. So, Steve has sadly been stuck with answering the door almost every time the Jehovah's witnesses have come to our house to revisit me. They came to the door once this summer, and have tried ever since to catch me again at home. But Steve is always the one that is home when they come (I often go hiking, etc...on Sunday afternoon, so this is why they never caught me).

So, they gave me a book today telling me what the Bible really means. I didn't know their beliefs were that different than my own, but I was surprised to find out this wasn't the case. As all crazy religious freaks that knock on your door-they think all you other folks are going to hell because you don't do things "their way" They mention specific things in the book llike praying to Mary, wear a cross on your neck, celebrate Christmas or take communion on a regular basis as all being things that aren't what "true Christians do."

Some things I learned are:

Jehovah
is the name of the only true God, the Creator of all things. As
such, he is worthy of our worship and devotion. His outstanding
qualities are love, justice, wisdom, and power.—Psalm 83:18; 1 John
4:8; Revelation 4:11.

The earth will never be destroyed or depopulated but will become a peaceful paradise.—Psalm 37:29; Isaiah 45:18; Luke 23:43.Jehovah's Witnesses do not use religious symbols, such as the cross, in their worship.—Matthew 22:37-39; John 4:24; 1 Corinthians 10:14.


And here is a list I found online of a bunch of more strange things they believe.

-Jesus is not to be worshiped or prayed to-he is only an angel (a.k.a. Michael the archangel)

-Jesus Christ is a "created being," who at one time did not exist
-The Holy Spirit is not a person but is "God's active force" i.e. gravity, electricity etc.
-Heaven is hope only for select Jehovah's Witnesses. The majority of JWs hope to live on "paradise earth"

-Heaven is limited only to 144,000 Jehovah's Witnesses.There are only 9,105 alive today (2006 figures)

-Jehovah's Witnesses are the only "true Christians." All churches and denominations are considered "false religion"

-There is no Hell or eternal judgment ("Hell" is simply the grave)

-There is no life after death except for the 144,000 Jehovah's Witnesses

-Salvation is earned only by being a loyal Jehovah's Witness

- Jesus second coming happened invisibly and secretly in 1914

- The "first resurrection" occurred in 1918

-Jesus did not rise from the dead bodily but as a spirit being

-Jesus was equal to Adam (just a man)

- Jesus could have sinned and failed in his mission

- Jesus was not born the savior but became the savior at his baptism

-God is not omnipresent

-God is not omniscient

- JWs are not sure of their salvation

-All earthly governments are controlled by the Devil

-The Holy Spirit is only available to select Jehovah's Witnesses

-------------------------------------------

So, I am a bit nervous about their return, since they said they would come back and visit me again. I may not answer the door next time. Sorry dudes, but you kind of freak me out.

But before they left, they said "Thank you for being nice to us!"

I found that a bit amusing. I guess people are pretty mean to
them on a regular basis.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A day of enjoyment before going back to work

Day 15 - Time to Learn!

Day 18 - First Unemployment Paycheck!