Day 37 -- Interviews and cleaning

My day was spent cleaning and doing research for the job interview. The floors in the house needed a thorough cleaning after Steve working in the garage, me tracking in and out of the garden with all the pollen accumulations, spilling several ounces of homemade ginger ale while pouring it into the keg, and Steve working on the water system a lot lately too.

I think the interview went pretty well, but it was short. 30 minutes to be exact. Was it really worth a 55 minute commute (only because of construction-it would normally be around 40 mintues)? Not really. The environment was very cold and uninviting. I am not sure how you can make a warehouse be inviting though. I almost felt like I was waiting for my car to be serviced.

During the interview, I presented my portfolio, which didn't receive much commentary. Usually you get some sort of positive remarks or some type of feedback about the designs. I was only asked factual questions and talking seemed to be as minimal as possible. I tried to make light of the job position stating "Must remain stationary 95% of the time." But they apparently didn't get my humor. They did say that was just an OSHA requirement to include in the job description. It wasn't actually expected.

So now I am trying to figure out how to write my "Thanks but no thanks" email to the interviewers. I don't want to sound too harsh, but I don't really want them to keep me in the running, as I have heard too many bad things about the company.I knew going into the interview, I would most likely not want the position, but I just hadn't thought about what I would say in my email. So, I have some research to do to figure out how to do it in a polite way.

My interview today will be with the Union Leader. I am 95% sure I am a perfect fit for the position. But, as always, I don't think the pay is going to be very high. I actually looked at the information online that was provided to me at my "Return to Work" orientation, and the average salary in New Hampshire for a graphic designer is only around $17 at the highest level of experience. It is only a part-time position too.

Well, I guess I should get to work! At least I have something to look forward to this week, and that's having lunch with Lisa tomorrow. YAY!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A day of enjoyment before going back to work

Day 15 - Time to Learn!

Day 18 - First Unemployment Paycheck!