An apple a day does not keep the doctor away...

in my case...apples are one of the top items 
someone with irritable bowels should NOT eat. 

Really, you say? 
REALLY! 

How about garlic and onions? 

They say those are good for you too! 
Well, sorry, you can't eat those anymore either.

Why you might ask? 
Because it is an insoluble fiber. 
They irritate the colon.


And that is why I am now on the Low FODMAP diet. It's more restrictive than ANYTHING you can imagine. No gluten, No dairy (not all of it, thankfully) and a whole slew of vegetables and fruits. It's a diet designed specifically for people who have irritable bowel syndrome.

Here's a nifty little graphic that shows you what FodMap stands for:



After several years of battling stomach problems, I finally met with a Gastroenterologist who decided I most likely have irritable bowl syndrome. After I told him my history of issues, he decided this diet would be the best way to see if I have IBS without doing any invasive tests like a colonoscopy.

At first, I was very welcoming to this idea of a new diet. Yay! Now, I have a list of foods that are safe and ones that are not for my issues.

However, the more I dove into the list, the more frustrating it gets. There are just way too many things that I CANNOT eat. Booh!

However, the diet is helping me find relief. But it is such big adjustment to make. And it's not just me making the adjustment, my husband has to suffer along with me since I make most of our meals. He has been a great sport about it. I am very fortunate in that aspect.

Here is a great list of things YOU CAN EAT on this diet!


For now, I just have to make the best of it, and be thankful I don't have anything much worse. I am overall a very healthy person. It's just going to take some getting used to all these limitations.

One thing that is super wonderful is having the internet to search as much as I'd like. If I had been diagnosed ten years ago, there is no way I would even know about this diet, because they just came up with it about 3 or 4 years ago. With the web right at my finger tips, I've already pinned tons of recipes, downloaded lists even apps for my phone! Hooray for technology!

Here is my pinterest board for LowFodMap Recipes & Tips
http://www.pinterest.com/designercoleman/low-fodmap-recipes/

The diet should be followed for about 3 months, and then I will revisit the doctor to see if I may have resolved my pain. Then, I might be able to slowly reintroduce foods to my diet to see what I can and cannot tolerate.

I am doing my best to stay positive and not drive anyone insane with this diet and the frustrations that go along with following it.

Comments

  1. i'm glad you posted this! i was meaning to ask you for the fodmap list. i have like, sort of ibs? there are definite things i can not eat, some things i can eat with no problems one day, but a week later i'll eat the same thing and i'm dying. i've been dealing with it my whole life, just something i've gotten used to. sucks. i hope this diet helps you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A day of enjoyment before going back to work

Day 15 - Time to Learn!

Day 18 - First Unemployment Paycheck!