Frugality
As a child, I grew up with a majority of items in my home being either hand-me-downs or from a thrift store or garage sale. This has never bothered me in the slightest. Since I grew up with little to no extra money available, I have learned to live and love looking for the best bargain. FREE of course, is the ultimate goal when you have no cash!
As a child, I often received my cousin Kayla's hand-me-downs. She was quite a bit thinner than me, (me being chunkier than the average kid) so I usually could wear her most recent discards, even being 7 years younger! Of course, I felt especially cool wearing her clothes, as she was my role model. However, she often envied how easily I could tan. We are quite the opposite now-she's the tan one!

Our weekends were often filled with garage sales and thrift store bargain hunting. What always thrilled me, even to this day, whatever we were specifically looking for, we ALWAYS found it. For instance, I wanted a white dresser/vanity for my room. Mom found one for me for $5 that she still uses as her desk to this day. We found a mirror for it for $3 about a week or so later at another garage sale.
![]() |
| Me and Kayla riding her horse. See how our legs are almost the same size?!? |

Our weekends were often filled with garage sales and thrift store bargain hunting. What always thrilled me, even to this day, whatever we were specifically looking for, we ALWAYS found it. For instance, I wanted a white dresser/vanity for my room. Mom found one for me for $5 that she still uses as her desk to this day. We found a mirror for it for $3 about a week or so later at another garage sale.
Anything that has been used prior to me, which often disgust some people (i.e. the sheets I brought home from the thrift store in college were highly revolting to my husband-which I quickly responded to him "how many people do you think have slept in hotel sheets?!?!); but it all fascinates me.
It doesn't really matter what it is, it adds so much intrigue and value!
Anyways, the whole reason I started writing this blog was to talk about the nifty very affordable vintage Ball mason jars I have found in ABUNDANCE at a local antique store. So, I decided to stock up on some for my candles. They are $2 EACH!! SERIOUSLY! And they are the big ones, like 18 oz, I think.
I am curious to know what their past might have been. Do you think they held a lot of pickles? I especially like them with glass lids.
It doesn't really matter what it is, it adds so much intrigue and value!
- Where did it come from?
- Who owned it?
- Did they love it as much as I do?
- How many people had it before me?
Anyways, the whole reason I started writing this blog was to talk about the nifty very affordable vintage Ball mason jars I have found in ABUNDANCE at a local antique store. So, I decided to stock up on some for my candles. They are $2 EACH!! SERIOUSLY! And they are the big ones, like 18 oz, I think.I am curious to know what their past might have been. Do you think they held a lot of pickles? I especially like them with glass lids.

i am always at the salvation army or savers. it just seems wrong to not at least try and find something second hand or on clearance or free. the only thing i know i am going to have to spend a good amount of money on this year is a bathing suit because ugh. it's a bathing suit and good luck trying to find anything decent at a thrifty. and ew, crotch.
ReplyDeleteI love them Amy! The glass lids are so cool. I am thinking canned tomatos or preserves maybe?
ReplyDelete