Candle Love

Candle making did not sound fun at all this Summer. Maybe because I just didn't want to be around hot wax? This is normal, I think. As I do not burn candles much in the Summer either.

In the Spring, I sent my sister-in-law a few candles for her birthday. Since she liked them so much, she asked me to make her around a dozen to give as gifts at Christmas. Therefore, I felt like if I were to make candles at all, they needed to be for her gifts. Inspiration left me until I was able to make those and get them sent off to her at the beginning of December.

Then, I officially started making candles again for FUN! I forgot how much I liked it. It can be addictive, especially when people rave on how much they like them.

The main reason I wanted to make candles is because most people LOVE them. Especially women (except my mother). And how cool would it be to be able to make my own (for much cheaper than they cost) and give them away? So, without hesitation, I began my new hobby last January.

At first, it was such a pain in the rear. Could it really be that hard to make them? Yes, it was pretty annoying in the beginning. From craters, to bubbles, to wicks snuffing themselves out. I was having a lot of issues. But I didn't let it stop me. I researched techniques, tips, and tutorials.



My first boo boo was---I was researching "candle making". Not "soy candle making." OH! There's a difference? HECK YEAH! And luckily, soy candles are MUCH MUCH easier to make.

But what's even more fun about making candles? Burning them to see if they are working properly. Oh darn, I have to light this candle to see if it will

  • burn properly based on the wick & container size
  • smell good or smell at all if it is a scent I haven't used before
  • burn evenly

As always, the hubby thinks my hobbies will be short lived. He especially thought so since the Summer consisted of zero candle making.

My latest accomplishment is I decided what wax I can finally buy in bulk. I have been pretty happy with my latest candles which I made with Golden Foods Soy Wax from Nature's Garden Candle Supply. I also like that they carry are Phthalate Free fragrances! (Phthalates are known to damage the liver, kidneys, lungs and reproductive systems in animal studies when they are absorbed  through the skin or inhaled.)

If I am going to give people candles, I want to know that they are not going to cause any harm to them or their animals.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A day of enjoyment before going back to work

Day 15 - Time to Learn!

Day 18 - First Unemployment Paycheck!