breaking these chains that hold me
So, I have been dreaming about creating my own mixed media journal for over five years now. I will ooh and ahhh over other people’s mixed media art, yet I never do it for myself. Why you ask? Because I feel like it serves no other purpose than to make me feel good. “You think that is bad?” Yes, I do. I have always been this way. I feel like I cannot do anything that’s sole purpose is to fulfill my needs alone.
I have been cursed with this guilt that anything and everything I do should result in joy of others. If it doesn’t, then I shouldn’t do it. It is a religious belief in which I cannot divorce myself from, no matter how hard I try. As I get older, I feel less inclined to abide by this inner voice that yells at me anytime I want to do something that is rewarding to me and me alone. I find myself yelling back “I CAN DO THINGS FOR MYSELF! And YOU CAN’T STOP ME!” But then I feel the overwhelming guilt fill my soul. I am reminded that “God wants you to serve others. Your life’s purpose is self-denial.”
But is it? I look around me, and see so many people who do actually live self-fulfilled lives. And they DO THINGS FOR THEMSELVES! They don’t live like Mahatma Gandhi, living with only the clothes on his back and the shoes on his feet.
Don’t get me wrong, I have overcome this fear of buying things for myself. I do it with a lot more finesse then every before. But the guilt builds up. Day after day, I begin to feel heavier and heavier, sadder and sadder. Weakened with the fear that God is looking down on me, judging me, shaking his head in shame.



Comments
Post a Comment