The Post Office blues...
The other day, I went to the post office to send off some last minute Easter stuff. As I was standing in line, I took the opportunity to look at all the USPS boxes available for no charge. I started thinking how they must have to compete a lot with UPS, FedEx and DHL due to the digital age now. So many people don't use postal services anymore, and that makes me sad.
As I child, I had many a pen pal. That was one of my favorite things to do: send and receive mail. It was such a fun time waster in the summers too. I used to swap letters with my grandmother on a weekly basis. And I even still have these letters. They are so fun to go back and read every couple of years. It's like a little flashback to the past, and it is so comforting to know I had that relationship with her and other relatives at such a young age. 
And I had even more fun finding pretty paper and cards to send to people. It was like sending a little present here and there, but only cost me twenty-five cents to send. And if you could include pictures that was even more satisfying. One of life's simple pleasures that has almost ceased to exist.
I often wonder if kids even know how to rate these days?! They are too busy texting and surfing the internet to ever pick up a pen and paper.
Now, I am lucky if I get a letter once a month or even once every three months. It's all junk. All junk and some bills now and again. And even most bills I get electronically anymore, so there are fewer of those every year too.
Since I don't get much mail, I have started subscribing to more magazines. At least I have SOMETHING to look forward to receiving in the mail since I will never get a letter. And it is not just that I don't get them, I don't send them either. Like everyone else in the world, it is more convenient for me to take a few moments of my time to blast off an email, that of which I can edit and re-edit again and again and copy and paste to send parts to other folks I might want to update myself with and vice-versa.
I still stock up on pretty paper, thank you notes, note cards, etc... but I very rarely take the time to send them out. I need to start sending them out, because before long I could probably open up my own Hallmark!
Here is a cool little transcript from Andy Rooney from last Fall about how the Post Office is struggling.
What’s Happening to the Post Office?
Andy Rooney Has Gotten Wind of Potential Changes to the
I got an e-mail from a friend I never heard of the other day suggesting I do
I think it’s crazy.
According to them, there are 37,000 post offices in the United States and if
The best mail is the letter from a friend or a relative. It’s sad to say that very
In 1900, there were 77,000 post offices around the country. Today with four
among them.
There’s something special about a letter. We all like to get one. An e-mail,
“What’s Happening to the Post Office?” Narr. By Andy Rooney.
6o Minutes. CBS, 14 March 2010. cbsnews. Web. 15 March 2010. Transcript.
kicks them off the planet.


An update on this one-I have been using the Post Office instead of UPS to send out stuff from work. YEAH!
ReplyDelete